[Python-Dev] Product function patch [issue 1093]

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Sep 5 04:03:51 CEST 2007

On 9/4/07, Steven H. Rogers <steve at shrogers.com> wrote:
> Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > I still don't see why the standard library needs to be weighed down
> > with a competitor to numpy. Including a subset of numpy was considered
> > in the past, but it's hard to decide on the right subset. In the end
> > it was decided that numpy is too big to become a standard library.
> > Given all the gyrations it has gone through I definitely believe this
> > was the right decision.
> A competitor to NumPy would be counter-productive, but including a core
> subset in the standard library that NumPy could be built upon would add
> valuable functionality to Python out of the box.  It was probably the
> best decision to not include NumPy when it was previously considered,
> but I think it should be reconsidered for Python 3.x.  While defining
> the right subset to include has it's difficulties, I believe it can be
> done.  What would be a reasonable target size for inclusion in the
> standard library?

What makes 3.0 so special? Additions to the stdlib can be considered
at any feature release. Frankly, 3.0 is already so loaded with new
features (and removals) that I'm not sure it's worth pile this onto
it.

That said, I would much rather argue with a detailed PEP than with yet
another suggestion that we do something. I am already doing enough --
it's up for some other folks to get together and produce a proposal.