[Python-Dev] [poll] New name for __builtins__

Stephen Hansen shansen at advpubtech.com
Wed Nov 28 21:01:54 CET 2007

(The lurker awakes...)

> > If not that I suggest something like __inject_builtins__.  This
> > implies it's a command to eval/exec, and doesn't necessarily reflect
> > your current builtins (which are canonically accessible as an
> > attribute of your frame.)
>
> You're misunderstanding the reason why __builtins__ exists at all. It
> is used *everywhere* as the root namespace, not just as a special case
> to inject different builtins.
>
> ATM I'm torn between __root__ and __python__.

Something with the word "global" speaks to it's real effect, except that the
word already has an established meaning in Python as being 'global to the
module level', and modifying __builtins__ lets you be "global to the entire
universe of that instance"

So I would humbly suggest __universal__. The names within are available
everywhere. 'root' speaks to me too much of trees, and while namespaces may
be tree-like, __root__ alone doesn't say "root namespace"... and
__root_namespace__ is long.

(Then again, long for a feature that should only be used with care isn't a
bad thing)

--Stephen