[Python-Dev] Build Notes for building trunk with Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 20:25:43 CET 2007

On 23/11/2007, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> On 2007-11-23 18:40, Christian Heimes wrote:
> > M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> >> Why not include the prebuilt libraries of all external libs in SVN
> >> as well ?
> >
> > For one I'm still using Beta 2 of the standard edition and I'm not
> > allowed to distribute binaries build with the Beta. With the new
> > pre-build steps it's also very easy to build the dependencies. I don't
> > like to add more binaries to the svn repos.
>
> Fair enough - was just thinking that people compiling Python
> on Windows are probably more interested in compiling the Python
> code itself, rather than getting the 3rd party tools to compile :-)

I'd agree with that, but for the ones I've tried so far, Christian has
made it simple enough that it's not really an issue - you simply svn
export the externals, and then the build just works.

It's possible that TCL/Tk may be harder (particularly as there are 3
packages, TCL, Tk and Tix) - if so, then having binaries for that may
be useful. But for the rest, it makes little difference.

Paul.