[Python-Dev] 1324 bugs in the tracker

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Fri Nov 23 15:27:59 CET 2007

Dear fellow Python developers!

The Python bug tracker contains more than 1,300 bugs and it's growing.
And growing ... and growing. I'm picking a bug once in a while or
tossing some invalid bugs away but it's a helpless cause. The bugs are
augmenting with anybody stopping them.

Well, I'm exaggerating a bit but you probably get my point. The core
developers can't keep up with new bugs and check old bugs at the same
time. The resources are already stretched thin. But Brett gave me an
idea how we could solve the problem when he posted the link to
http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/contributing/#ticket-triage.

What do you think about inviting some trustworthy and experienced Python
users to join the cause? They don't need to solve every problem and they
won't need developer access to the svn. Instead their task is cleaning
up the tracker, categorizing bugs and checking patches. The tracker sure
contains a lot of outdated junk and already fixed bugs.

A group of five to ten highly motivated people could squall through the
tracker smashing all those ugly bugs like the infantry in Starship
Troopers -  but hopefully with less loss on our side. :]

Christian