[Python-Dev] Official version support statement

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat May 12 06:14:13 CEST 2007

"Martin v. Löwis" writes:

 > However, I would prefer to not use the verb "support" at all. We (the
 > PSF) don't provide any technical support for *any* version ever
 > released: '''PSF is making Python available to Licensee on an "AS IS"
 > basis.  PSF MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES [...].'''

Of course the PSF provides *excellent* technical support; you just
don't acknowledge any *obligation* to do it.  A declaration of support
is not a warranty, of course.  So I see no problem with using the word
"support".  You may wish to clarify with terms like "resources
available".

 > Why do you need such a statement?

Because it expresses what IMO *actually happens* clearly, and
clarifies the intent of the PSF to continue in the same way.  This is
useful to users making decisions, even though the PSF owns few to none
of the resources needed.  The generosity of the contributors and their
loyalty to Python and to each other practically guarantees availability.

Python can dispose of a raft of bugs present only in the older
versions with WONTFIX at release of a new stable version (after
double-checking that they don't exist in the stable version).
Developers can respond to reports of bugs in the immediate past
version with "I'm sorry, but we try to concentrate our limited
resources on supporting the current version, and it is unlikely that
it will be fixed.  Please post to c.l.p for help."  Users are
disappointed, but it builds trust, and more so if supported by an
official statement.