[Python-Dev] 2.6, x64 and PGO

Kristján Valur Jónsson kristjan at ccpgames.com
Thu May 3 22:38:06 CEST 2007

Well, I have checked in the fixes to the trunk to make an x64 build run the testsuite.
It works pretty well.  I did a quick test and found the x64Release to run 51000 pystones vs. 44000 for the win32Release version, a difference of some 10%.
And the x64PGO version ran some 61000 pystones.
Some more extensive testing is of course required, but it would seem that gains can be had from both going 64 bit and using PGO.
I encourage you to take a look at the PGO build process.  It is much simpler than before.
 I also think we ought to find out if we could start producing a proper vc8 build, setting up a buildbot, etc.  I can probably convince management
at CCP to arrange for one.

We could also think about a way to have the 64 bit and 32 bit versions coexist on the same machine.

Cheers,
Kristjan