[Python-Dev] Two spaces or one?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Thu Jul 26 15:53:18 CEST 2007

    Pete> That points towards a way forward.  Why do programming languages
    Pete> continue to assume use of a monospaced font?  It was natural when
    Pete> we used punch cards and line printers, but now?  Python relies on
    Pete> the indentation but could be flexible about other textual
    Pete> attributes.

Nothing in Python assumes anything about fonts.  That's all a function of
the text editor you use and your editing preferences.  Me, I find it easier
to read code which is displayed or printed with monospaced fonts.  Note,
however, that I've been programming for 30 years.  I started with IBM punch
cards, so I might be a bit biased.

Skip