[Python-Dev] Building Python with CMake

Alexander Neundorf alex.neundorf at kitware.com
Fri Jul 13 19:59:16 CEST 2007

Hi,

as I wrote in my previous email, I'm currently porting Python to some more
unusual platforms, namely to a super computer
(http://www.research.ibm.com/bluegene/) and a tiny embedded operating system
(http://ecos.sourceware.org), which have more or less surprisingly quite
similar properties.

To do this, I added CMake files to Python, in order to use CMake to cross
compile Python to these platforms. CMake (http://www.cmake.org) is a
buildsystem in scope similar to autotools, but it's just one tool (instead of
a collection of tools) and it support Windows and the MS compilers as first
class citizens, i.e. it can not only generate Makefiles, but also project
files for the various versions of Visual Studio, and also for XCode.

Attached you can find the files I had to add to get this working. With these
CMake files I was able to build python for eCos, BlueGene, Linux and Windows
(with Visual Studio 2003, but here I simply reused the existing pyconfig.h,
because I didn't want to spend to much time with this).
So for Linux the configure checks should be already quite good and almost
complete, for eCos and BlueGene they also work (both are UNIX-like), for
Windows there is probably some tweaking required.

So if anybody is interested in trying to use CMake for Python, you can find
the files attached. Version 2.4.5 of CMake or newer is required.

I guess I should mention that I'm doing this currently with the released
Python 2.5.1.

Bye
Alex