[Python-Dev] Add a -z interpreter flag to execute a zip file

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 05:31:32 CEST 2007

On 7/12/07, Fred L. Drake, Jr. <fdrake at acm.org> wrote:

> Phillip Eby:
>  > Testing your package before you zip it, would be one.  :)  My
>  > personal main interest was in being able to add an item to sys.path
>  > without having to set $PYTHONPATH on Windows.  That's why I'd like it
>  > to be possible to use -z more than once (or whatever the option ends up
>  > as).
>
> What happens if multiple entries contain __main__.py entries?  I don't like
> this one so much.  I don't know what Java does if you specify -jar more than
> once; that might suggest something.

You can't with:
java version "1.5.0_11"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_11-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.5.0_11-b03, mixed mode)

-help says:
     or  java [-options] -jar jarfile [args...]
           (to execute a jar file)

args are passed to the jarfile being run.

$ java -jar xalan2.jar -jar xalan2.jar
Invalid option: -jar
Invalid option: xalan2.jar