[Python-Dev] Py2.6 ideas

Fuzzyman fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Feb 20 11:17:49 CET 2007

Michele Simionato wrote:

>Raymond Hettinger <raymond.hettinger <at> verizon.net> writes:
>

>>* Add a pure python named_tuple class to the collections module.  I've been
>>using the class for about a year and found that it greatly improves the
>>usability of tuples as records.
>>http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/500261
>>

>[snip..]
>4. I want help(MyNamedTuple) to work well; in particular it should
>   display the right module name. That means
>   that in the m dictionary you should add a __module__ attribute:
>
>    __module__ = sys._getframe(1).f_globals['__name__']

Hello all,

If this is being considered for inclusion in the standard library, using _getframe' hackery will guarantee that it doesn't work with alternative implementations of Python (like IronPython at least which doesn't have Python stack frames).

At least wrapping it in a try/except would be helpful.

All the best,

Michael Foord