[Python-Dev] Trial balloon: microthreads library in stdlib

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Sun Feb 11 22:28:08 CET 2007

Hi Martin,

On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 07:09:29PM +0100, "Martin v. L?wis" wrote:
> > hacks into the core were complicated and he didn't even think
> > integration was worth it.
>
> With emphasis on the latter. Christian never proposed (to my knowledge)
> that Stackless should be integrated. Of course, he didn't propose it
> because he assumed that proposal would be turned down, anyway.

The history as I remember it is that Christian tried hard to integrate
the first versions of Stackless with CPython, but was turned town by
python-dev.

On a side note, I also wrote "greenlets", which is a C extension module
for the regular CPython that uses some code from Stackless to provide
coroutines without changing the core.  I have even built an experimental
I/O library for it, which I'm using with some success, and I personally
like the style; but I also know that it's a very subjective matter, so
I'm happy to keep it outside the stdlib.  As far as I gather from
discussing with Christian, he has got a similar point of view.

Armin