[Python-Dev] Adding timeout option to httplib...connect()

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sat Feb 10 23:41:07 CET 2007

On 2/10/07, skip at pobox.com <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

>     Guido> I'm not going to change ftplib.py and all the others.
>
>     >> Also understood.  This has, as far as I know, been the response of
>     >> everybody who has encountered this problem before.
>
>     Martin> You should read your SF bug list more frequently, then. You are
>     Martin> currently assigned bug #723312 (and have been since 2003-04-17),
>     Martin> which has a patch to change ftplib.
>
> Assigned by the author, because I apparently offered him some advice I no
> longer recall giving?  After much chiding here I'll take a look.
>
> I don't know if feature requests for Roundup are still being accepted, but I
> hope one of its features is that it can remind people periodically of the
> tickets they own.

Good idea.  Kind of like a weekly "here is your Python todo list in
terms of issues" email.  I think it should be doable.

As for taking new ideas, the goal right now is to get the transition
done.  The biggest thing holding it up now is documentation,
especially howto docs.  Once we are transitioned we are expecting
people to want to change things or add features.

But if you want to get the ball rolling on this for possible inclusion
afterwards, email tracker-discuss about your idea.

> My primary goal in life is not to close Python bugs and
> patches, so I hope people will understand if I don't think on a Thursday
> evening, "Gee, I think I'll drop by SourceForge and see what work I have to
> do tonight".

I understand.  =)