[Python-Dev] Shortcut Notation for Chaining Method Calls

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Feb 4 00:21:57 CET 2007

Michael O'Keefe wrote:
> I'd like to see a built-in shorthand to allow me to
> chain method calls even when a method call does not explicity
> return a reference to the instance of the object (self).

> def newFunc02():
>     return NewList([8,9,7,1]).self_('sort').self_('reverse').self_('pop',0)

My thought is that you're trying to write programs
in some other language using Python.

If you really want all that on one line, you can
do it already:

   x = NewList([8,9,7,1]); x.sort(); x.reverse(); return x.pop(0)

which is just as compact and doesn't suffer from
the weirdness of passing method names in as quoted
strings.

--
Greg