[Python-Dev] Python and the Linux Standard Base (LSB)

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Nov 30 05:36:19 CET 2006

At 03:20 AM 11/30/2006 +0000, glyph at divmod.com wrote:
>One of the things that combinator hacks is where distutils thinks it
>should install to - when *I* type "python setup.py install" nothing tries
>to insert itself into system directories (those are for Ubuntu, not me) -
>~/.local is the *default* install location.  I haven't managed to make
>this feature work with eggs yet, but I haven't done a lot of work with
>setuptools.

easy_install uses the standard distutils configuration system, which means
that you can do e.g.

    [install]
    prefix = ~/.local

in ./setup.cfg, ~/.pydistutils.cfg, or
/usr/lib/python2.x/distutils/distutils.cfg to set the default installation
prefix.  Setuptools (and distutils!) will then install libraries to
~/.local/lib/python2.x/site-packages and scripts to ~/.local/bin.