[Python-Dev] PEP: Adding data-type objects to Python

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Sat Nov 4 02:44:19 CET 2006

> Perhaps the most relevant thing to pull from this conversation is back
> to what Martin has asked about before: "flexible array members". A TCP
> packet has no defined length (there isn't even a header field in the
> packet for this, so in fairness we can talk about IP packets which
> do). There is no way for me to describe this with the pre-PEP
> data-formats.
>
> I feel like it is misleading of you to say "it's up to the package to
> do manipulations," because you glanced over the fact that you can't
> even describe this type of data. ISTM, that you're only interested in
> describing repetitious fixed-structure arrays.
Yes, that's right.  I'm only interested in describing binary data with a
fixed length.  Others can help push it farther than that (if they even
care).

> If we are going to have a "default Python way to handle data-formats",
> then don't you feel like this falls short of the mark?
Not for me.   We can fix what needs fixing, but not if we can't get out
of the gate.

> I fear that you speak about this in too grandiose terms and are now
> trapped by people asking, "well, can I do this?" I think for a lot of
> folks the answer is: "nope." With respect to the network packets, this
> PEP doesn't do anything to fix the communication barrier.

Yes it could if you were interested in pushing it there.   No, I didn't
solve that particular problem with the PEP (because I can only solve the
problems I'm aware of), but I do think the problem could be solved.   We
have far too many nay-sayers on this list, I think.

Right now, I don't have time to push this further.  My real interest is
the extended buffer protocol.  I want something that works for that.
When I do have time again to discuss it again, I might come back and
push some more.

But, not now.

-Travis