[Python-Dev] Proposal for a new itertools function: iwindow

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sat May 27 12:59:59 CEST 2006

On Thu, May 25, 2006, Torsten Marek wrote:

> Some open question remain:
> - should iwindow return lists or tuples?
> - what happens if the length of the iterable is smaller than the window size,
> and no padding is specified? Is this an error? Should the generator return no
> value at all or one window that is too small?

You should probably try this idea out on comp.lang.python; if there is
approval, you'll probably need to write a PEP because of these issues.
Note that my guess is that the complexity of the issues relative to the
benefit means that BDFL will probably veto it.

Side note: if you do want to discuss this further on python-dev, please
subscribe

"I saw `cout' being shifted "Hello world" times to the left and stopped
right there."  --Steve Gonedes