[Python-Dev] Python sprint mechanics

Raymond Hettinger rhettinger at ewtllc.com
Mon May 8 23:29:22 CEST 2006

Tim Peters wrote:

>[Tim Peters, on giving commit privs to a sprinter after
> extracting a signed PSF contributor form]
>

>>>The more realistically ;-) I try to picture the suggested
>>>alternatives, the more sensible this one sounds. ...
>>>

>[Martin v. Löwis]
>

>>I completely agree. Just make sure you master the mechanics of adding
>>committers.

Part of the mechanics also involves getting the users set-up on their
own machines.  For me, it was a complete PITA because of the
Tortoise/Putty/Pageant/SSH2 dance and then trying to get Python to
compile with the only compiler I had (MSVC++6).  The advantage of a
separate sprint repository is that we can essentially leave it unsecured
and make it easy for everyone to freely checkin / checkout and experiment.

For the Iceland sprint and bug days, we need a procedure that is
minimizes the time lost for getting everyone set.  For bug days, it is
especially critical because a half-day lost may eat-up most of the time
available for contributing.  For the Iceland sprint, it is important
because this is just one of many set-up tasks (others include
downloading and compiling psyco, pypy, etc).

Raymond