[Python-Dev] Expose the array interface in Python 2.5?

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Mar 20 03:13:51 CET 2006

Travis E. Oliphant wrote:

> The purpose of the C-object would be so that all extension writers to
> Python can rely on a simple but general-purpose description of an array
> that Numeric has established over the past decade.

I'm not sure that this is the right direction to approach
things from. It might be all right for writers of new
extensions, but there are existing modules (PIL, ctypes, etc.)
that already have their own way of storing data, and it
seems to me it would be easier for the maintainers of
those modules to add a new interface to the existing
data than to rearrange their internal structure to use
this new C-object.

So I still think the standardised interface is more
important and should have a higher priority than the
new object.

Greg