[Python-Dev] 2.5 and beyond

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Jun 30 21:19:48 CEST 2006

James Y Knight wrote:
> On Jun 30, 2006, at 3:05 AM, Neal Norwitz wrote:
>> If there are any bugs you think should be considered show stoppers,
>> mail them to the list and I will update the PEP.
>
> I just submitted http://python.org/sf/1515169 for the ImportWarning
> issue previously discussed here. IMO it's important.

At the moment (i.e. without an acceptable alternative implementation)
it's primarily a policy issue. There really isn't any bug here;
(to speak with Microsoft's words): This behavior is by design.

Only the release manager or the BDFL could revert the feature, and
Guido already stated that the warning stays until Python 3, and
probably even after that. I personally believe the only chance to
get this changed now is a well-designed alternative implementation
(although this is no promise that such an alternative would actually
be accepted).

Regards,
Martin