[Python-Dev] 2.5 and beyond

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 09:05:10 CEST 2006

I'm glad to see Anthony ratcheting down.  At this point, we need to be
fixing bugs and improving doc.  Maybe Anthony and I should have a
contest to see who can revert the most changes. :-)

There are at least 6 bugs that really, really need to be fixed before
release.  Several of these are AST bugs.  Jeremy knows about them and
plans to fix them once he's back from vacation.  Anyone else wanna
help out?  One is for a socket problem and another is for doc.  The
current list of serious bugs are in the PEP:

  http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0356/

If there are any bugs you think should be considered show stoppers,
mail them to the list and I will update the PEP.  If you are a
committer, just update the PEP yourself.  We really need everyone to
help.  There were a lot of changes that didn't have tests and/or NEWS
entries.  I tried to reply to the checkin messages for those I
noticed.  I have tons of messages in my inbox where I don't know if
the issue was addressed or not.  Can everyone try to find the holes?
And new ones keep popping up!  Please let the author know they need to
fix the problem.  It's really tempting to just revert these changes...

We also need to fix the test suite.  This warning needs to be addressed!

    Lib/struct.py:63: DeprecationWarning: struct integer overflow
masking is deprecated return o.pack(*args)

Since we are in feature freeze, now seems like a good time to make a
PEP for 2.6:

  http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0361/

It's pretty empty right now.  The plan is to make the schedule in a
year from now.  Start adding your new features to the PEP, not the
code.