[Python-Dev] Numerical robustness, IEEE etc.

Nick Maclaren nmm1 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jun 19 17:29:00 CEST 2006

Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net> wrote:

> > As I have posted to comp.lang.python, I am not happy with Python's
> > numerical robustness - because it basically propagates the 'features'
> > of IEEE 754 and (worse) C99.
>
> That's not really now I would describe the situation today.

It is certainly the case in 2.4.2, however you would describe it.

> > 2) Because some people are dearly attached to the current behaviour,
> > warts and all, and there is a genuine quandary of whether the 'right'
> > behaviour is trap-and-diagnose, propagate-NaN or whatever-IEEE-754R-
> > finally-specifies (let's ignore C99 and Java as beyond redemption),
>
> Why?  Maybe it's clear to you, but it's not totally clear to me, and
> it any case the discussion would be better informed for not being too
> dismissive.

Why which?  There are several things that you might be puzzled over.
And where can I start?  Part of the problem is that I have spent a LOT
of time in these areas in the past decades, and have been involved
with many of the relevant standards, and I don't know what to assume.

> > there might well need to be options.  These can obviously be done by
> > a command-line option, an environment variable or a float method.
> > There are reasons to disfavour the last, but all are possible.  Which
> > is the most Pythonesque approach?
>
> I have heard Tim say that there are people who would dearly like to be
> able to choose.  Environment variables and command line switches are
> not Pythonic.

All right, but what is?  Firstly, for something that needs to be
program-global?  Secondly, for things that don't need to be brings
up my point of adding methods to a built-in class.

> I'm interested in making Python's floating point story better, and
> have worked on a few things for Python 2.5 -- such as
> pickling/marshalling of special values -- but I'm not really a
> numerical programmer and don't like to guess what they need.

Ah.  I must get a snapshot, then.  That was one of the lesser things
on my list.  I have spent a lot of the past few decades in the numerical
programming arena, from many aspects.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:  nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Tel.:  +44 1223 334761    Fax:  +44 1223 334679