[Python-Dev] Improve error msgs?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sun Jun 18 21:52:07 CEST 2006

On 6/18/06, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:

> Georg Brandl wrote:
> >> In abstract.c, there are many error messages like
> >>
> >> type_error("object does not support item assignment");
> >>
> >> It helps debugging if the object's type was prepended.
> >> Should I go through the code and try to enhance them
> >> where possible?
> >
> > So that's definite "perhaps"?
> >
> > Anyway, posted patch 1507676.
>
> Sigh. I guess I'll have to commit it to get a second (actually,
> third, thanks Armin) opinion...

If you want an opinion on whether it is useful, then yes, it is useful.
Honestly I thought that was kind of obvious since better, more informative
error messages are always better as long as the verbosity is not insane.

As for looking at the patch, that is just the usual time/priority problem.
=)

-Brett