[Python-Dev] unicode imports

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Jun 17 10:41:53 CEST 2006

Kristján V. Jónsson wrote:
> The standard install path in chinese distributions can be with a
> non-ANSI path, and installing an embedded python application there will
> break it.

I very much doubt this. On a Chinese system, the Program Files folder
likely has a non-*ASCII* name, but it will have a fine *ANSI* name,
as the ANSI code page on that system should be either 936 (simplified
chinese) or 950 (traditional chinese) - unless the system is
misconfigured.

Can you please report what the path is, what the precise name of the
operating system is, and what the system locale and the system
code page are?

> A completely parallel implementation on the sys.path[i] level?

You should also take a look at what the 8.3 name of the path is.
I really cannot believe that the path is unaccessible to DOS
programs.

> Are there other platforms beside Windows that would profit from this?

No.

Regards,
Martin