[Python-Dev] External Package Maintenance (was Re: Please stopchanging wsgiref on the trunk)

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Jun 13 02:10:14 CEST 2006

At 02:00 AM 6/13/2006 +0200, Giovanni Bajo wrote:
>IMO, the better way is exactly this you depicted: move the official
>development
>tree into this Externals/ dir *within* Python's repository. Off that, you can
>have your own branch for experimental work, from which extract your own
>releases, and merge changes back and forth much more simply (since if they
>reside on the same repository, you can use svnmerge-like features to find out
>modifications and whatnot).

Yes, that's certainly what seems ideal for me as an external developer.  I
don't know if it addresses the core developers' concerns, though, since it
would mean having Python code that lives outside of the Lib/ subtree, tests
that live under other places thatn Lib/test, and documentation source that
lives outside of Doc/.  But if those aren't showstoppers then it seems like
a winner to do it for 2.6.