[Python-Dev] Dropping externally maintained packages (Was:Please stop changing wsgiref on the trunk)

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon Jun 12 20:17:02 CEST 2006

Brett Cannon wrote:

> But I don't think this is trying to say they don't care.  People just want
> to lower the overhead of maintaining the distro.

well, wouldn't the best way to do that be to leave all non-trivial maintenance of a
given component to an existing external community?

(after all, the number of non-python-dev python contributors are *much* larger
than the number of python-dev contributors).

I mean, we're not really talking about ordinary leak-elimination or portability-fixing
or security-hole-plugging maintenance; it's the let's-extend-the-api-in-incompatible-
ways and fork-because-we-can stuff that I'm worried about.

</F>