[Python-Dev] Pre-PEP: Allow Empty Subscript List Without Parentheses

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 08:22:15 CEST 2006

Greg Ewing wrote:

> I'm having trouble seeing a real use for a 0D array as
> something distinct from a scalar, as opposed to them
> just being an oddity that happens to arise as a side
> effect of the way Numeric/Numpy are implemented.

This has been rehashed over and over again on numpy-discussion. The upshot is
that numpy no longer creates rank-zero arrays unless if the user really asks for
one. The remaining use cases are documented here:

  http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/wiki/ZeroRankArray

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."