[Python-Dev] Python Benchmarks

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Jun 9 12:44:34 CEST 2006

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
>> You can download a current snapshot from:
>>
>> http://www.egenix.com/files/python/pybench-2.0-2006-06-09.zip
>
> believe it or not, but this hangs on my machine, under 2.5 trunk.  and
> it hangs hard; nether control-c, break, or the task manager manages to
> kill it.

Weird.

> if it's any clue, it prints

>> PYBENCH 2.0
>> * using Python 2.5a2
>> * disabled garbage collection
>> * system check interval set to maximum: 2147483647
>> * using timer: time.clock
>
> and that's it; the process is just sitting there, using exactly 0% CPU.

This is the output to expect:

PYBENCH 2.0
* using Python 2.4.2
* disabled garbage collection
* system check interval set to maximum: 2147483647
* using timer: time.time

Calibrating tests. Please wait...

Running 10 round(s) of the suite at warp factor 10:

* Round 1 done in 6.627 seconds.
* Round 2 done in 7.307 seconds.
* Round 3 done in 7.180 seconds.

Note that the calibration step takes a while.

Looking at the code, the only place where it could
hang (because it's relying on a few external tools)
is when fetching the platform details:

def get_machine_details():

    import platform
    buildno, builddate = platform.python_build()
    python = platform.python_version()
    if python > '2.0':
        try:
            unichr(100000)
        except ValueError:
            # UCS2 build (standard)
            unicode = 'UCS2'
        else:
            # UCS4 build (most recent Linux distros)
            unicode = 'UCS4'
    else:
        unicode = None
    bits, linkage = platform.architecture()
    return {
        'platform': platform.platform(),
        'processor': platform.processor(),
        'executable': sys.executable,
        'python': platform.python_version(),
        'compiler': platform.python_compiler(),
        'buildno': buildno,
        'builddate': builddate,
        'unicode': unicode,
        'bits': bits,
        }

It does run fine on my WinXP machine, both with the win32
package installed or not.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 09 2006)