[Python-Dev] Symbol page for Language Reference Manual Index

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Jun 8 23:17:30 CEST 2006

"A.M. Kuchling" <amk at amk.ca> wrote in message
news:20060608122437.GA27249 at rogue.amk.ca...
> On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 12:18:23AM -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:
>> [I just realized that some links need to be within-page rather than to
>> the
>> top of the page and that I can cut and paste additional info if I find
>> the
>> appropriate regular index entry, such as
>> http://docs.python.org/ref/parenthesized.html#l2h-342 for 5.2.3.  But I
>> will work this sort of thing out with whoever formats.]
>
> It's probably easiest to make a list of symbols and the corresponding
> section names and optionally a snippet of the paragraph that should be
> the target of the link. Section numbers like 5.2.3 and link anchors
> like #l2h-342 are generated by LaTeX2HTML and not visible when you're
> editing the source text.

I looked at the ref latex source and realized that the indexes have no
source themselves but are autogenerated from index markup like in the
following:

\section{Function definitions\label{function}}
\indexii{function}{definition}
\stindex{def}

A function definition defines a user-defined function object (see
section~\ref{types}):
\obindex{user-defined function}
\obindex{function}

Section numbers will allow the lines to be sorted in section insertion
point so the formatter does not have to jump around within and between the
multiple latex source files.  So I need to put all the info for each entry
on one line.  I'll let the formatter worry about which index tag to use or
whether a new \syindex tag should be added, and how to make \index{{}}
work.

Terry Jan Reedy