[Python-Dev] Community buildbots

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Jul 13 22:52:50 CEST 2006

On 7/13/06, glyph at divmod.com <glyph at divmod.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 19:19:08 +0100, Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net> wrote:
> >glyph at divmod.com writes:
>
> >> For example, did anyone here know that the new-style exceptions stuff
> in 2.5
> >> caused hundreds of unit-test failures in Twisted?  I am glad the change
> was
> >> made, and one of our users did catch it, so the process isn't fatally
> broken,
> >> but it is still worrying.
> >
> >When implementing this stuff, I could have (... snip ...)
>
> To be clear, I agree with the decision you made in this particular
> case.  I
> just would have appreciated the opportunity to participate in the
> discussion before the betas were out and the featureset frozen.  (Of
> course I
> *can* always do that, and some other Twisted devs watch python-dev a bit
> more
> closely than I do, but the point is that the amount of effort required to
> do
> this is prohibitive for the average Python hacker, whereas the time to set
> up an
> individual buildbot might not be.)

One way to try to track python-dev is the python-dev Summaries.  While
Steven is only human and thus  cannot always get them out immediately, they
do happen frequently enough that major decisions will be covered before
betas are hit.

-Brett

(Aside: IMHO, the sooner we can drop old-style classes entirely, the better.