[Python-Dev] stabilizing builds

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jan 24 23:52:52 CET 2006

Thomas Wouters wrote:
> FWIW, it's brittle on Solaris 9, too, and the SF compilefarm has two of
> those. I don't know if it's the same problem, but on Solaris 9, the slave
> part of the tty/pty pair sometimes isn't a TTY (according to os.isatty.) The
> buildbot's log doesn't list the solaris 10 test_pty failure though, just the
> test_logging failure.

It occasionally failed in test_pty, too, with the very same error
message (that /dev/tty isn't a tty).

> It looks like a timing issue; the first run succeeds, all subsequent runs
> fail, for a while, anyway. I'll do some googling and browsing other
> tty/pty-using code to see if there's anything we're not doing we should be
> doing, but it looks like a platform bug that we can't fix... Not without
> re-implementing os.isatty anyway ;P

Couldn't there be a bug in openpty instead? Perhaps it is trying to
allocate the same device again, but fails to do so correctly, and fails
to recognize that it should use a different one instead.

Anyway, if you still think you need an OS 10 account, please let me
know, and I can give you an account to the machine the buildbot
runs on.

Regards,
Martin