[Python-Dev] buildno (Was: [Python-checkins] commit of r41907- python/trunk/Makefile.pre.in)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Jan 5 14:38:18 CET 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 00:36 +0100, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

> The portable way would be to check for svnversion in configure, and then
> only use it if it was found. You could also check for .svn in configure,
> and generate the entire buildno generation.
>
> OTOH, I also think we should get rid of buildno entirely. Instead,
> svnversion should be compiled into the object file, or, if it is absent,
> $Revision$ should be used; the release process should be updated to
> force a commit to the tag/Modules/buildno.c right after creating the
> tag. sys.build_number should go, and be replaced with sys.svn_info,
> which should also include the branch from which the checkout/export
> was made. $Revision$ should only be trusted if it comes from a
> tag/.
>
> Should I write a PEP for that?

To be honest I don't think we need a PEP for that.  I saw that you
checked in a bunch of stuff here, and that's great, thanks!

I was working on a patch to add a PY_BUILDNO macro to
Include/patchlevel.h, which would have "$Revision$" as its value.
patchlevel.h seems like the natural place to put this, since any release
manager is going to be modifying this file anyway.  PEP 101 should be
updated so that updating patchlevel.h be the last commit before an svn
export is done (but that PEP needs an overhaul anyway to change the cvs
references into svn commands).

Thoughts?
-Barry