[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] commit of r41880 - python/trunk/Python/Python-ast.c

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jan 3 09:38:59 CET 2006

Jeremy Hylton wrote:
> I think this solution is better.  It's relatively rare for people to
> change the ast definition, so for most purposes these should be static
> files.

Interestingly enough, I found yesterday that Python-ast.c did change for
me, even though I had not touched the AST grammar at all. Assuming
somebody forgot to commit this file, I just did.

I now investigated where this change originated from, and it was this
commit

r41812 | tim.peters | 2005-12-26 00:18:31 +0100 (Mo, 26 Dez 2005) | 2 lines

Whitespace normalization.

This indicates two problems: apparently, the whitespace normalization
also normalizes string literals; not sure whether this is a good idea
or not. Furthermore, people should be made aware that something
deserves their attention when they find that Python-ast.c has changed
for them (but I guess Tim never saw Python-ast.c change, because this
build step isn't executed on Windows).

Regards,
Martin