[Python-Dev] Dropping support for Win9x in 2.6

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Fri Feb 24 19:29:27 CET 2006

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006, Michael Foord wrote:
> Georg Brandl wrote:
>> Neal Norwitz wrote:
>>
>>> Martin and I were talking about dropping support for older versions of
>>> Windows (of the non-NT flavor).  We both thought that it was
>>> reasonable to stop supporting Win9x (including WinME) in Python 2.6.
>>> I updated PEP 11 to reflect this.
>>>
>>> The Python 2.5 installer will present a warning message on the systems
>>> which will not be supported in Python 2.6.
>>
>> Hey, someone even wanted to continue supporting DOS...
>
> A lot of people are still using Windows 98.  But I guess if noone is
> volunteering to maintain the code...

DOS has some actual utility for low-grade devices and is overall a
simpler platform to deliver code for.  At the standard 18-month release
cycle, it will be beginning of 2008 for the release of 2.6, which is ten
years after Win98.

"19. A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming,
is not worth knowing."  --Alan Perlis