[Python-Dev] bytes.from_hex() [Was: PEP 332 revival in coordination with pep 349?]

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Thu Feb 16 06:36:03 CET 2006

Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Jason Orendorff wrote:
>
> > Also the pseudo-encodings ('hex',
> > 'rot13', 'zip', 'uu', etc.) generally scare me.
>
> I think these will have to cease being implemented as
> encodings in 3.0. They should really never have been
> in the first place.

I would agree that zip is questionable, but 'uu', 'rot13', perhaps 'hex',
and likely a few others that the two of you may be arguing against
should stay as encodings, because strictly speaking, they are defined as
encodings of data.  They may not be encodings of _unicode_ data, but
that doesn't mean that they aren't useful encodings for other kinds of
data, some text, some binary, ...

 - Josiah