[Python-Dev] C AST to Python discussion

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Feb 15 09:43:57 CET 2006

Brett Cannon wrote:
> One protects us from ending up with an unusable AST since
> the seralization can keep the original AST around and if the version
> passed back in from Python code is junk it can be tossed and the
> original version used.

I don't understand why this is an issue. If Python code
produces junk and tries to use it as an AST, then it's
buggy and deserves what it gets. All the AST compiler
should be responsible for is to try not to crash the
interpreter under those conditions. But that's true
whatever method is used for passing ASTs from Python
to the compiler.

   The PyObjects branch most likely won't have