[Python-Dev] bdist_* to stdlib?

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Feb 15 04:19:19 CET 2006

Thomas Wouters wrote:

> Well, as an end user, I honestly don't care.
> As a programmer, I also don't care.

Perhaps I've been burned once too often by someone's
oh-so-clever installer script screwing up and leaving
me to wade through an impenetrable pile of makefiles,
shell scripts and m4 macros trying to figure out what
went wrong and what I can possibly do to fix it, but
I've become a deep believer in keeping things simple.

Common sense suggests that a system which keeps
everything related to a package, and only to that
package, in one directory, has got to be more robust
than one which scatters files far and wide and then
relies on some elaborate bookkeeping system to try
to make sure things don't step on each other's toes.

When everything goes right, I don't care either. But
things go wrong often enough to make me care about
unnecessary complexity in the tools I use.

University of Canterbury,	   | Carpe post meridiam!          	  |
Christchurch, New Zealand	   | (I'm not a morning person.)          |