[Python-Dev] http://www.python.org/dev/doc/devel still available

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Mon Feb 13 21:52:44 CET 2006

On Monday 13 February 2006 10:03, Georg Brandl wrote:
 > The above docs are from August 2005 while docs.python.org/dev is current.
 > Shouldn't the old docs be removed?

I'm afraid I've generally been too busy to chime in much on this topic, but
I've spent a bit of time thinking about it, and would like to keep on top of
the issue still.

The automatically-maintained version of the development docs is certainly
preferrable to the manually-maintained-by-me version, and I've updated the
link from www.python.org/doc/ to refer to that version for now.  However, I
do have some concerns about how this is all structured still.

One of the goals of docs.python.org was to be able to do a Google site-search
and only see the current version.  Having multiple versions on that site is
contrary to that purpose.  I'd like to see the development version(s) move
back to being in the www.python.org/dev/doc/ hierarchy.

What I would also like to see is to have an automatically-updated version for
each of the maintainer versions of Python, as well as the development trunk.
That would mean two versions at this point (2.4.x, 2.5.x); only one of those
is currently handled automatically.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.   <fdrake at acm.org>