[Python-Dev] How to get the Python-2.4.2 sources from SVN?

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Sat Feb 11 16:29:57 CET 2006

On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 09:10:41AM -0600, skip at pobox.com wrote:

>     Dave> It isn't completely clear which branch or tag to get, and Google
>     Dave> turned up no obvious documentation.

> On subversion, you want releaseXY-maint for the various X.Y releases.  For
> 2.4.2, release24-maint is what you want, though it may have a few bug fixes
> since 2.4.2 was released.  With CVS I used to use "cvs log README" to see
> what all the tags and branches were.  I don't know what the equivalent svn
> command is.

The 'cvs log' trick only works if the file you log is actually part of the
branch. Not an issue with Python or any other project that always branches
sanely, fortunately, but there's always wackos out there ;)
You get the list of branches in SVN with:

svn ls http://svn.python.org/projects/python/branches/

And similarly, tags with:

svn ls http://svn.python.org/projects/python/tags

--