[Python-Dev] Removing anachronisms from logging module

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Aug 25 19:44:53 CEST 2006

The logging module currently contains some weird-looking code that is
there to maintain 1.5.2 compatibility (*). I don't think that's needed
any more; neither does Vinay. I propose as a project for someone to
clean it up; perhaps compatibility could be maintained with 2.2 but
that's probably as far back as it needs to go. Linux distros all come
with 2.2 or newer these days.

The logging module is currently listed in PEP 291 as requiring
compatibility with 1.5.2; my proposal is to remove this or replace it
with 2.2 (Vinay even proposed 2.4).

(*) I found an example of code testing "if string.find(s, t) != 0",
thinking it was a bug attempting to write "if t in s", but which Vinay
identified as a 1.5.2 idiom for "if not s.startswith(t)"...