[Python-Dev] Questions on unittest behaviour

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 20:07:53 CEST 2006

Collin Winter wrote:
> Any thoughts on the other four items?

Generally speaking, I'm not sure it's worth the effort to do the input
validation. All of the cases you suggest ruling out do indeed seem to be
insane, but someone may have defined a subclass that does something based on
the current behaviour.

Given the timing, I suggest just documenting and testing the current behaviour
for Python 2.5, and then creating a tracker item targeting 2.6 to cover the
lack of sanity checks (and whether or not more should be added).

Some of the problems have multiple possible solutions (e.g., using
inspect.getargspec() to check for zero-argument callables when searching for
test methods, instead of trying to call everything unittest can lay its hands
on) so we need more time to think about them.

Cheers,
Nick.