[Python-Dev] no remaining issues blocking 2.5 release

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Aug 15 18:14:49 CEST 2006

Marc-Andre,

I think the release managers might let you change this back if you
volunteered, not to maintain all of distutils (I wouldn't wish that on
my worst enemies :-) but at least to keep the version number up to
date and to do the occasional work to keep it backwards compatible in
the way you want it.

I think it's fine of the new distutils contains new features that
won't work with older Pythons, as long as the old features still work
(and have perhaps updated functionality in some other way). How
exactly to reconcile this with the black/white notion of PPE 291 I
don't know; it seems a compromise is in order.

--Guido