[Python-Dev] Dict suppressing exceptions

Jim Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 02:46:54 CEST 2006

> It wasn't my idea to stop ignoring exceptions in dict lookups; I would
> gladly have put this off until Py3k, where the main problem
> (str-unicode __eq__ raising UnicodeError) will go away.

> But since people are adamant that they want this in sooner,

Is this true for dictionaries specifically?

Would there really be strong objections to continuing to swallow
any Exception (not BaseException) raised by __eq__ ?

Writing an __eq__ method that doesn't handle generic objects is
sloppy, but it does happen, and I would hate to wrap all dictionaries
of objects.

-jJ