[Python-Dev] Win64 AMD64 (aka x64) binaries available64

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Apr 21 23:56:35 CEST 2006

Thomas Heller wrote:
> I forgot to mention that there are a lot of warnings about conversion
> betweem Py_ssize_t to int - if you want me to fix the obvious ones
> I'll offer to correct some of them from time to time and commit the
> changes.

Right - they have been there ever since I started (in fact, I started
this entire project *because* of these warnings). You can get them on
x86, too, if you enable /Wp64.

Please feel free to fix any of them that you feel comfortable about.

> I wonder why gcc doesn't warn about those.

It just doesn't implement truncation warnings between variables
of differently-sized integer types. This (typically) isn't undefined
behaviour: the C standard mandates very well what should happen for
these truncations. Warning about any and all truncations would
lead to incredible noise.

/Wp64 *only* works because they restrict themselves to int64->int32
warnings (essentially).

Regards,
Martin