[Python-Dev] 2.5a1 Performance

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 22:05:24 CEST 2006

On 4/5/06, Benji York <benji at benjiyork.com> wrote:
> Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> > What operating system and compiler?
>
> Oops, should have included that:
>      Ubuntu Breezy, Kernel 2.6.12-10-686
>      GCC 4.0.2 20050808 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.0.1-4ubuntu9)

32-bit or 64-bit?  I would expect a modest diff on 64-bit between 2.4 and 2.5.

You built both HEAD and 2.4 from scratch, right?

To get more consistent results, you need to pass an option to gcc to
tell it to use consistent branch prediction (or something like that).
Otherwise, you will not get consistent results with the same source
code.  This option is not in the build system, you'll need to research
it.  I don't expect that to make more than a couple tenths of a
percent diff though.

I haven't done any profiling and I'm not likely to before 2.5 is
released.  It would be good if someone took a look at this though.