[Python-Dev] Adding a conditional expression in Py3.0

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Sep 24 07:57:47 CEST 2005

"Nick Coghlan" <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:4334DD43.1010207 at gmail.com...

<snip discussion indicating that our brains work different on this issue>

I am reminded of how some people seem to react to fingernails on a
blackboard, while the screech is just another noise to me, except that I am
in the opposite position with respect to a if b else c.

> Does it help if you think of "if <C> else" as a parameterised infix
> operation
> for choosing between the expressions on either side?

Hmm.  If I parse it as a (if b else) c and sort of ignore the words and
think of it as <T c F> so that the whole thing is a switch pointing either
left or right?  A bit strange, but perhaps it does.

Terry J. Reedy