[Python-Dev] Replacement for print in Python 3.0

skip@pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Fri Sep 2 15:11:47 CEST 2005

    Neil> The problem with print is it becomes a barrier to extending a
    Neil> script into something more ambitious. This then leads to ugly
    Neil> 'features' like '>>' and trailing commas. By all means provide a
    Neil> simple syntax for i/o with the standard streams but ensure it is
    Neil> something that is a firm basis for extension.

I don't find either the trailing comma or >> redirection ugly.  If I have a
long print line that's hard to read because it extends past column 80 (the
print statement, not the output), it's easy to hit NL at an intermediate
comma, then just type "print ", perhaps followed by another output
redirector.  The two print statements' output still falls on a single
line. The trailing comma on the previous line gives me a space between the
two output chunks.

Skip