[Python-Dev] PEP 351, the freeze protocol

Gary Poster gary at modernsongs.com
Mon Oct 24 17:04:52 CEST 2005

On Oct 23, 2005, at 6:43 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> I've had this PEP laying around for quite a few months.  It was
> inspired
> by some code we'd written which wanted to be able to get immutable
> versions of arbitrary objects.  I've finally finished the PEP,
> uploaded
> a sample patch (albeit a bit incomplete), and I'm posting it here
> to see
> if there is any interest.
>
> http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0351.html

I like this.  I'd like it better if it integrated with the adapter
PEP, so that the freezing mechanism for a given type could be
pluggable, and could be provided even if the original object did not
contemplate it.  I don't know where the adapter PEP stands: skimming
through the (most recent?) thread in January didn't give me a clear
idea.

As another poster mentioned, in-place freezing is also of interest to
me (and why I read the PEP Initially), but as also as mentioned
that's probably unrelated to your PEP.

Gary