[Python-Dev] Pre-PEP: Task-local variables

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Fri Oct 21 14:41:47 CEST 2005

Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> writes:

> On 10/20/05, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
>> At 08:57 AM 10/20/2005 -0700, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>> >Whoa, folks! Can I ask the gentlemen to curb their enthusiasm?
>> >
>> >PEP 343 is still (back) on the drawing table, PEP 342 has barely been
>> >implemented (did it survive the AST-branch merge?), and already you
>> >are talking about adding more stuff. Please put on the brakes!
>>
>> Sorry.  I thought that 343 was just getting a minor tune-up.
>
> Maybe, but the issues on the table are naming issues -- is __with__
> the right name, or should it be __context__? Should the decorator be
> applied implicitly? Should the decorator be called @context or
> @contextmanager?
>
>> In the months
>> since the discussion and approval (and implementation; Michael Hudson
>> actually had a PEP 343 patch out there),
>
> Which he described previously as "a hack"

Err, that was the code I used for my talk at EuroPython.  That really
*was* a hack.  The code on SF is much better.

> and apparently didn't feel comfortable checking in.

Well, I was kind of hoping for a review, or positive comment on the
tracker, or *something* (Phillip posted half a review here a couple of
weeks ago, but I've been stupidly stupidly busy since then).

> At least some of it will have to be redone, (a) for the AST code,

Indeed.  Not much, I hope, the compiler changes were fairly simple.

> and (b) for the revised PEP.

Which I still haven't digested :-/

Cheers,
mwh

--
  I'm about to search Google for contract assassins to go to Iomega
  and HP's programming groups and kill everyone there with some kind