[Python-Dev] Extending tuple unpacking

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Tue Oct 11 18:46:18 CEST 2005

(my own 2 eurocents)

> I do feel that for Python 3 it might be better to make a clean
> separation between keywords and positionals: in other words, of the
> function definition specifies a keyword argument then a keyword must be
> used to present it.

Do you mean it would also be forbidden to invoke a "positional" argument
using its keyword? It would be a huge step back in usability IMO. Some
people like invoking by position (because it's shorter) and some others
prefer invoking by keyword (because it's more explicit). Why should the
implementer of the API have to make a choice for the user of the API ?