[Python-Dev] Unicode charmap decoders slow

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Oct 5 23:15:56 CEST 2005

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
>>> It wouldn't.
>>

>> Could you elaborate why not ? Using distutils on Windows is really
>> easy...
>

> The current build process for Windows simply doesn't provide it.
> You expect to select "Build/All" from the menu (or some such),
> and expect all code to be compiled. The VC build process only
> considers VC project files.
>
> Maybe it is possible to hack up a project file to invoke distutils
> as the build process, but no such project file is currently available,
> nor is it known whether it is possible to create one. Whatever the
> build process: it should properly with debug and release build,
> with alternative compilers (such as Itanium compiler), and place
> the files so that debugging from the VStudio environment is possible.
> All of this is not the case of today, and nobody has worked on
> making it possible. I very much doubt distutils in its current form
> could handle it.

I see, so you have to create a VC project file for each codec -
that would be hard to maintain indeed.

For Unix platforms this would be no problem at all since there all
extension modules are built using distutils anyway.

Thanks for the explanation.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 05 2005)